Cristiano Ronaldo left out of Portugal squad for matches against Poland and Scotland

Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo has been left out of Portugal’s latest squad for matches against Poland and Scotland this month.

Ronaldo was excused from international duty in September by Portugal coach Fernando Santos for games against Croatia and Italy in order to give him time to rest from his World Cup exertions and settle into life at new club Juventus.

No reason has been given for his absence from this latest squad. Portugal take on Poland in a Uefa Nations League match on 11 October before facing Scotland in a friendly in Glasgow three days later.

Ronaldo has made a positive start to his Juventus career, registering three goals and four assists in seven Serie A appearances to help the defending champions surge six points clear at the top of the table.

This news of course comes with Ronaldo the subject of allegations that he raped an American woman in a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.

The lawsuit says Kathryn Mayorga, 34, asked police last month to reopen the criminal case with police confirming on Monday they have reopened a sexual assault case from 2009 that corresponds with the date of Ms Mayorga’s allegation.

Ronaldo strenuously denies the claims and says his conscience is “clear”.

Taking to Twitter on Wednesday, Ronaldo said: “I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.

“Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.

“My clear conscious [sic] will thereby allow me to await with tranquillity the results of any and all investigations.”

Follow the Independent Sport on Instagram here, for all of the best images, videos and stories from around the sporting world.

Source link